Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter Time In Denmark

Christmas holiday is over now! For the last two days, our Danish friends have been doing their teaching practice. Unfortunately, the school couldn't arrange schools for exchange students yet so we are still on holiday. No classes, almost no one at school, and that simply means nothing to do especially as it is cold outside.
Sunset over Taastrup, Denmark

Denmark is the land of contrast. In the summer time, the days of mid-summer are quite long. In winter time, dark and cold days are paralelly quite short.  Denmark is closer to the north than the Turkey is, hence in Denmark nights are a lot longer than we are used to. That's why thesedays most of the time we are staying indoors and it is a little bit boring.  Since it is winter time now, nights are quite long, which means very little day light.  The sun rises around eight thirty in the morning (when we are lucky enough to have a sunny day) and around four o'clock in the evening everywhere is totally dark. Especially when I sleep a lot in the afternoon, I can't sleep at nights. Then I start to sleep early in the morning and wake up in the evening. This even makes it harder to see day light so it makes me think as if it is night all the time which is not something I am used to. In short, I really have to find an activity to do in the afternoon so that I sleep at nights as I used to.



No comments:

Post a Comment