Thursday, February 10, 2011

21st Century Skills and Democratic Citizenship Education

 We have recently started a new course called "21st Century skills and Democratic Citizenship Education". Together with our pedagogy teacher Peter Gundersen, Thomas Thomsen is also teaching us in this course. Even though I have missed two of Thomas's lessons due to my teaching practice, I really liked to have another lecturer and  get the opprtunity to see another teaching style.

Lessons with Peter goes the same way as they were during the first semester. We read a lot and generally we have to discuss the text in the classroom and deal with different tasks. However, it also seems that we will make more presentations in his lessons this semester In fact, it is nice to stand there in front of the class trying to explain what we have discussed or read as we are going to be teachers.The more we practise the more we will get used to do it.  With Thomas, on the other hand, we have similar class discussions but since his profession is not English but religion and history we could learn to see education with another point of view. Also, it is an extra point for a teacher to observe different teaching styles as I said before.

Together with new exchange students

Besides, this semester we have exchange students from different countries. During the first semester, in classroom management lessons we were generally only Turkish exchange students and I didn't like Tukey's being main focus all the time as some of my friends insisted on talking about -so to speak- "the theory based education system" in Turkey. Anyway, now that we have students from different countries, the class is a lot more multicultural, we have the possibility to see other point of views and I don't feel like we are talking about the same  "thing" all the time.

3 comments:

  1. And here I thought my lessons were diverse and full of surprises...
    Alas! They all "go the same way...". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,

    First of all, it is nice to know that someone is reading my blog. :)

    Second, when i said "the same way" i meant your teaching style not the lessons. I think, in your teaching style, it is quite important that we read different texts both in the class and at home, discuss it in the classroom and do different tasks dealing with the text or the topic. And you generally have a lot of different tasks for us and you try to use a variety of tasks which makes your lessons diverse of course. That is actually why I like to attend your lessons. And since I have been here for six months and I have been attending your lessons since first semester, I am familiar with your teaching style and that was what I was trying to say in fact. In general, "doing different tasks and varying in teaching" is your teaching style and it is the way they were in first semester. So what I meant was that I am familiar with your teaching style but not the way your lessons goes. As I said in my entry: "it is an extra point for a teacher to observe different teaching styles". So, all I was trying to say is to be familiar with your teaching style. I hope that you don't misunderstand me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me, I will not. :-)

    I like following your blog by the way. Always a good reflective perspective to be found...

    ReplyDelete